Complying with those taxing obligations – the finer details
- Whether you are employed as a PAYE worker, or pay tax as a self-employed person, you must make sure that you pay any tax that is due to Revenue.
- This article focuses on information for PAYE workers or pensioners who have another source of income.
- If you work for an employer and pay tax under the PAYE system, income earned from employment is taxed at source by your employer.
- However, the amount deducted can vary depending on your personal circumstances and your tax credits. For example, if you are married or in a civil partnership, this may affect your tax bands and tax reliefs.
- If you are a chargeable person you must self-assess. Self-assessment is where you are responsible for making your own assessment of tax due.
Liam O’Halloran is an accountant with FDC Bandon.