Record amount of tax collected by Revenue during Covid-19 pandemic
- The Revenue Commissioners have recently published their annual report for 2021.
- There was a record amount of tax and duty collected.
- The net exchequer receipts of €67.5bn were up by 20% on 2020.
- Brexit continued to bring challenges. Since January 1st last year, goods which once moved freely between Ireland and the UK are now subject to customs rules. The Revenue processed 27.1m import declarations in 2021 compared to just over 1m in 2020.
- In 2021 also, the Revenue continued to make improvements to its online and digital services in order to make things more accessible and more timely for taxpayers.
Siobhan Healy is a Chartered Tax Adviser with FDC in Bandon.