Nutrient Use Efficiency/ P Build Up
Objective: – This course intends to cover increasing nutrient use efficiency by getting the most from fertiliser and slurry.
Format: – Course delivery for each course must include both theory (classroom/online) and practical (field/farm) elements. The design of this is at the discretion of the course organiser but shall be preapproved by DAFM.
Audience: – Farmers must attend this course unless they did more than the minimum of 10 grass measurements in 2020 and are prepared to do a minimum of 20 covers in 2021 and onwards. Grass measurements must be recorded on Pasture Base Ireland.
Benefits: – Under the terms and conditions of the Nitrates Derogation 2020 and 2021, derogation applicants are required to complete mandatory training
Learning Objectives: –
- Increasing nutrient use efficiency by getting the most from fertiliser and slurry.
- Soil Fertility
- Nitrogen, Phosphorous & Potassium Fertiliser advice & choices
- pH and lime advice
- Understanding Nutrient Management Plan (NMP)
- Soil Sampling and Organic Matter (OM) Testing
- Sustainable Fertiliser Planning
- Organic manure management and incorporation
- Slurry management and application, reducing N loss from Slurry – “More of LESS”
- Health and Safety.
- New Nitrates Regulations and Training Requirements.
- Soil pH & Liming.
- Soil P and K Indexes / Soil Results / Advice.
- Organic Manure Management.
- Nitrogen Management
- P Mobilisation and Mitigation
- NMP Planning
- Q&A Session